Wither: Lauren Destefano

Title: Wither (Chemical Garden #1)
Author: Lauren Destefano
Release Date: March 22nd 2011
Source: Arc Simon&Schuster Galley Grab


Synopsis from Goodreads: What if you knew exactly when you would die? 

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out. 

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home. 

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limted time she has left.


My Review:  First thing one will notice about this novel is it flabbergasting cover. This was the reason I wanted to read Wither, as the encasement just seemed to radiate beauty. Luckily, the story inside was just as brilliant as the outside!
The writing style was one to covet. I absolutely adored it, and envy Lauren Destefano's talent. I found the book to be very well paced. Even if there were a few slow moments, I relished every detail I could consume.
I loved so many of the characters! I loved Rhine (And her name), though there were some times when she maybe was a little too harsh on Linden. Especially after *such and such* happens. I, however, don't blame her really. She had all the right in the world to say what she said. She was a prisoner, after all.
I liked Rose, and Cecily, and Jenna. This book had an amazing set of characters!

Spoiler-ish: I'm not sure why, but I was rooting for Rhine to get with Linden. (GASP) Yes, I know he kept her prisoner and all, and would sometimes act like an ignorant fool, which he was... but still. I felt there was a connection between them, even though it was fake. Kind of Peeta and Katniss (The Hunger Games).

Speaking of Hunger Games. That is my #1 favourite novel. But this book--Wither-- is easily awarded a well-earned second place.

I ate this novel up, regurgitated, and consumed it once more. OH YES--I'm in love!

Wither is awarded 5 of 5 stars!

1 comments:

icountwords said...

I absolutely loved Wither, and I agree with the Rhine and Linder thing. I think it'll totally come up in the next books.

Post a Comment

Back to Top